Monday, July 23, 2012

Jen Knox Batman

A woman whose work I love and respect tremendously is the talented, Jen Knox. A couple days ago, I ran across her latest post which dealt with her take on the media coverage surrounding the shooting inside the movie theater in Aurora, Co which was showing The Dark Knight Rises. Having spent years in the media industry, I understand to some extent what goes on with the decisions which take place inside news rooms. I happened to have a job in radio when the shootings took place at Columbine High School. My news gathering instincts kicked in the morning of the attacks on the World Trade Center Towers. I fully understand a desire to research as much information about those causing the harm as well as those being victimized. I also understand we live in a different technological era than during those events. Yet, one constant is a desire to figure out the mindset of a person who plans then goes through with such an attack. I know there is a desire to explain away the actions of a person to attempt to locate the signs or similarities with previous acts as well as to find predicting aspects for future attacks. Jen Knox raises a wonderful point about all of this. I found her piece to be very moving, thought provoking, and of course, well written. I wish to share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment