Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Meeting Imerman Angels

I had the great privilege and honor to attend an event on Tuesday night where I met the amazing volunteers and supporters for Imerman Angels. The lovely, Jemma, invited me to the function and I was not going to pass up the chance to meet my teammates who are racing various events throughout the 2011 year on behalf of Imerman Angels as part of the Imerman Active team. Johnny Imerman was diagnosed with cancer when he was twenty-three years old. It was then that he discovered there was not a national database of other cancer survivors to whom he could turn who could get him through his fight against this disgusting disease. When he was twenty-nine, having beaten off the disease, Johnny began the Imerman Angels organization to pair up cancer survivors who could mentor and support cancer fighters. The non profit pairs up individuals with the same cancer who are of the same gender, age, ethnic background. The organization does its best to find as many similarities as possible between each pairing. As most of us in this world, I have experienced cancer through family and friends who have beaten the disease over the years. Unfortunately, not all friends or family members were able to win their fight. I do not know what it is like to live with cancer. I do not know what it is like to go through the treatment. I hope I never will. I have seen others go through it and I realize that I have a chance to do my part to help Imerman Angels by running the Chicago Marathon all the while raising funds and awareness for the wonderful work IA does. I had the chance to meet so many individuals with whom I have developed friendships mainly through Twitter and Facebook. It was such a joy to finally come face-to-face with these great individuals. It was such a joy to meet Johnny Imerman. Everyone with whom I talk can not stop speaking about how amazing he is as a survivor and as a human being. I have to say, the words "amazing" and "spectacular" do not do him justice. He is such a special person. I am so glad to be on his team. I am thrilled to be a member of Imerman Angels and Imerman Active. I already know I have friendships for life through my association with IA. I hope you will consider donating to my marathon cause so that no one faces cancer alone. A donation to my fundraising cause is a donation for life to triumph over cancer!

Please log on to donate here:

No comments:

Post a Comment