Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Keri's Ironman Madison Adventure

In November of 2009, I was informed that Great Lakes Adaptive Sports Association would have a 2010 Chicago Marathon team. I instantly decided to make my debut at the marathon distance in my hometown race by being a part of the GLASA team to run 26.2 miles. In 2010 on October 10, I ran the Chicago marathon. It was a great opportunity to run for a worthy cause and organization. One of the individuals who works for GLASA is the wonderful, Keri Schindler. She is so passionate about her job and her active lifestyle that it is almost impossible to be around her and not be motivated as well. Whenever I get a chance to race on a team with which Keri is involved or race in an event with which Keri is associated, I always do it. She is simply one of the rock star individuals I know. Towards the end of last year and the start of this year, Keri joined forces with one of her friends, the amazing and heroic Melissa Stockwell as well as a couple other people to form the Dare2Tri Chicago Paratriathlon Club which is USA Triathlon's first nationally recognized and certified paratriathlon club.

I made my debut with the Dare2Tri club in June when I raced in the Pleasant Prairie Triathlon where I was guided by Todd Smith in completing my first duathlon. GLASA and Dare2Tri are spectacular organizations which offer opportunities to so many youth and adults who may otherwise not have been given such chances to pursue athletic ventures. It is so wonderful that someone like Keri is involved with both groups. It will be even better if these organizations continue to expand. As Dare2Tri is still in its infancy, it needs more recognition and support from everyone. That is why I am writing this to highlight what keri Schindler is preparing to attempt on September 11, 2011. Keri is getting ready to swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, and run 26.2 miles in under seventeen hours for the first time in her life when she toes the starting line at Ironman Madison. She is raising money and awareness for Dare2Tri. If you wish to learn more about the organization, please make sure to visit the web site at the bottom of this entry. Upon reading more, please feel free to donate to Keri's Ironman Madison venture.

To donate to Keri's mission:


To read about Dare2Tri Chicago:

www.dare2trichicago.com

No comments:

Post a Comment