Thursday, February 10, 2011

Brendan's Bar Karma

In the first week of July 2010, Matt Miller, the founder of the C Different Foundation, the organization under whose umbrella I would be racing the New York City Triathlon, contacted me to inform me that he had found a man to be my sighted guide. Matt said the man would reach out to me via Facebook, I should accept his friend request, and begin the bonding process. Matt told me the man's name was Brendan Hermes and his and my interests are so similar, it would be frightening. Sure enough, Brendan reached out to me, we sent comments back and forth, then we had an opportunity to speak on the phone. He was just a few years older than me, enjoyed living an active triathlon lifestyle, and worked for a production company creating TV, film, and interactive online content. He had also appeared in a few national commercials. I was overwhelmed by his accomplishments and experiences. It would be an honor and privilege to swim one mile in the Hudson river, bike twenty-five miles along Hudson Highway, and run 6.2 miles around and in Central Park with Brendan as my eyes. My entries from July 2010 discussing the New York City Triathlon expressed my thoughts of how the weekend with Brendan and his family was more magical than I could have ever dreamt it would be. More than a race day guide, Brendan has been a tremendous supportive friend with whom I have shared what feels like a lifetime of memories in just about six months.

Brendan's latest project has him as one of the producers for the television show, Bar Karma, which debuts on Current TV on Friday, February 11 at 10p.m. eastern time. The show is interactive so viewers and fans will have the opportunity to use the internet to submit ideas and plot or story lines to be written, filmed, and air in future episodes. If anyone has ever wanted to experience what it may feel like to contribute to a television program, this is the perfect way to do so.

Please read more information about the show at the following link and make sure to check out the show.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/02/bar-karma-will-wright/


No comments:

Post a Comment