Monday, June 11, 2012

The Sighting

One of the best advice I ever received was from a wonderful friend who supported me through some of the most difficult times in high school, college, and beyond. He is a local on air personality during the afternoon rush hours on a Chicago radio station. He told me, "Read everything. Study everything." He had much more to say, but that is the best part for the purposes of this entry. I did just as he stated. to this day, whenever people ask me for words of wisdom, I often quote Mr. Dan Bernstein. Upon graduating college, he left me with a wonderful quote from George Bernard Shaw which ended up serving me well when I was writing a theater piece which became the first piece from me to be produced. Mainly though, I feel his statement is important. We should always strive to keep learning, keep growing, and keep evolving as individuals. One of the wonderful writers who I enjoy reading and whose work challenges me to grow is the talented, Jen Knox. I do my best to read Jen's work. She is amazing. At every turn, she always makes me think and wonder how can I use my ability to write to produce such pieces? Here is a link to a short story, The Sighting by Jen Knox. I hope it makes you think as it did me.

No comments:

Post a Comment