Friday, January 6, 2017

After The Gazebo

As a prepubescent, I wrote stories. I wrote and wrote. Page after page. I never knew the ending, but I loved watching my fingers form the letters. I kept going till my fingers and wrist hurt. I rarely shared my stories with anyone. I sat in class hoping the teacher’s next assignment would be to write a short story so I could submit, but the teacher never did, so I never did. By high school, I had a computer. I missed and still miss the tactile feel of forming the letters with my hand. I wrote poems. I printed out seven of them and gave them to one of my English teachers for feedback. She told me they were all bad, but had potential because I had talent which needed some nurturing. She felt I would eventually be published. In my senior year, two of those poems were.

While in college, I wrote my first screenplay. A thirty minute short film. After a couple screenplays, I tackled plays. Friends asked why I did not write plays sooner given my love for dialogue. I missed writing short stories. I returned to them, but quickly discovered I could not write them. I started a novel. Two pages into it, I deleted it. I immediately opened another blank file and began writing it as a screenplay. I had become more comfortable with slug line, action, dialogue. Eventually, that idea for the novel became a screenplay and stage play. The theater piece was in development, but something went sideways with the theater group. Along came the talented Jen Knox. She and I became friends. I read her blog and stories. She was amazing. She wrote an entry on her blog about flash fiction. I wanted to write those. Jen encouraged me. She offered to help where she could. I asked if she would read my work and offer feedback. She told me I was great at sensory description. I had a way of painting a picture and evoking a response. I was moved that a talented writer whom I respected thought so highly of my work. Jen breathed life back into my love for short stories. She inspired me to tackle writing a novel.

Jen Knox’ latest book, After The Gazebo is available for download for the low price of $6.95. If you have not heard of the award winning wonderful, Jen Knox, please visit the link below to familiarize yourself with her work.

AFTER THE GAZEBO

No comments:

Post a Comment