Saturday, March 5, 2011

Laura Sturm Directs Ephemera

When I was fourteen years old, I fell in love with talk radio. I spent the next decade dreaming of and pursuing a radio career. Eventually, I realized that maybe I was not meant to be a radio star and hall of fame broadcaster so I sat down to write my first ever full length feature screenplay. After writing it, I knew I had to take acting classes. I searched online and spoke to various people about potential schools. Each time I would read an instructor's biography, I would look for a connection. I would look to see where the instructor went to school or some of the programs with which he or she has been associated. I came across the biography for Laura Sturm who received her MFA from the same school I received my BA and at around the same time. Instantly, I was drawn to her. Like a magnet. I needed to meet her. More important, I had to study with her. I could not quite understand it, but I was overtaken by this desire to have her teach me about acting and to do what she could to get the best out of me. I had not a clue whether she would be interested in meeting or working with me, but I had an overwhelming desire to do whatever I had to do to get into her classes. As it turns out, I registered for my first acting class taught by Laura. Before it was made official, I went in to meet with her face-to-face and she was so delightful and so interested in working with me that my initial meeting felt more like I was seeing a long lost friend. I spent a couple years taking every class I could which was taught by Laura. The changes she would make in my artistic style, voice, and personality was so evident that other instructors would praise Laura's ability to connect, inspire, and change me while tapping into the talent I did not even realize I possessed. There are several teachers and classmates who played major roles in bringing out the best of me, but Laura will always have a special place in my heart because she has done the most work to understand my defense walls then put on her hard hat and go to work breaking it down one brick at a time until I stepped on to a stage for the first time as a professional actor and dazzled audiences with my performances. Laura, who has been one of my greatest supporters and toughest critics, was so moved by my performance and said I was doing things, reacting, and moving in ways that even she had not seen from me during the classes she taught. Dare I say, I love Laura Sturm! She continues to support, motivate, and teach me to this day. She is such an amazing instructor, actor, director, artist, and friend. Beauty, talent, and brains. Laura is one of the most amazing individuals I have ever had the privilege of having in my life.

Please check out the podcast interview featuring the lovely Laura Sturm discussing the latest project which she is directing. The play, Ephemera runs from March 22 through May 1, 2011. As time gets closer and throughout the run, I will post more information as it becomes available. Please enjoy Laura at this site:

http://blog.petheatre.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment