Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dating Walter Dante

From the first day I walked into my first ever acting class and met my scene partner and new friend, Rani, I found myself speechless and amazed at the various talented artists I would meet. Each time I attended a class, I would find myself in awe of so many individuals. Some times, I was observing the person for the first time and other times, I was being dazzled by someone I had already befriended who was experiencing a breakthrough at that very moment. He or she was making a self discovery on stage and I was being moved by it. Many of these classmates have remain my friends whom I have seen dazzle on stage in and around Chicago. One such good friend is Rob Lynch. He was always kind and patient with me as I struggled to find my artistic voice and he has remained supportive over the years as he has built his wonderful career. One of my favorite moments occurred many years ago when my autobiographical piece, In The Dark, was named a New Play Fest winner by Prop THTR. As part of the fest, itreceived a couple staged readings for the public prior to going into production for its world premiere performances. Rob attended one of those readings. Afterwards he said, "Is, what can I say? This is simply a masterpiece. I knew you were good, but I never knew you were great." Coming from someone whose friendship I treasure and whose talent I respect, that meant plenty.

Rob's talent has been on display this week on Monday and Tuesday. If you missed it, then you will have a chance to see him on Wednesday as part of the cast of Dating Walter Dante at Raven Theatre Company 6157 N. Clark St. 8p.m. in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment