Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Making My Marathon Debut As Member Of Team GLASA

I have previously posted my intension to make my marathon debut this year with the Chicago Marathon and that I want to do it as part of a fundraising effort for a charity. A few months back, I officially joined 45,000 other runners, from the professionals whom I watch on TV each marathon coverage to the weekend warrior with a fitness or charity goal, when I registered for the Chicago Marathon taking place on Sunday, October 10, 2010. After deciding on a charity for which I would race, I was approached with an opportunity to race and fundraise for the Special Olympics Chicago Children's Charities. I believe very strongly in the mission of the Special Olympics and have a dear friend, Kimberly, whose family has personally benefited from the wonderful work the organization does. As I have received plenty from my friendship with Kimberly, I truly wanted to give of myself for an organization which she holds near and dear to her heart for how her family especially her brother have benefited. I wrestled with the decision for many months, but in the end, I decided to turn to the woman to whom I had expressed an interest in raising awareness and funds as early as November 2009. So, today, I filled out and sent in my papers declaring my intensions to join Team GLASA so I may race the Chicago Marathon while raising funds and awareness for the Great Lakes Adaptive Sports Association which works to organize events and functions for blind and visually impaired military veterans, adults, and children. It will be a true honor to experience the training and race day festivities as a member of Team GLASA. A special thanks to Keri Schindler, Program Supervisor for GLASA, and to Elvia for assisting me with troubleshooting my attempts to fill out the forms. Of course, I will have many more opportunities to give back to Kimberly and more important to the wonderful people of the Special Olympics. The days may move forward my athletic days may be numbered, but I do not intend to go away for a very long time! I dedicate my life to helping those who help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment